About the Opportunity
The Pain Management Unit (PMU) in Halifax is looking for a full-time Anesthetist with a Sub-Specialty in Pain Medicine to join the Department of Anesthesia at Dalhousie University.
Recognized across Canada, the PMU is an interdisciplinary unit consisting of 7 Anesthetists, 1 GP/Addictionist, 1 Psychiatrist/Pain Specialist, as well as full support from: nursing, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, and psychology. The unit also has an interventional suite with ultrasound and c-arm fluoroscopy. The clinical team works together to bring various approaches and practice styles making this a highly collaborative and collegial environment. The PMU is affiliated with the Neurosurgery and Orthopedic Departments allowing for spine assessment and spinal cord stimulation. As well, the PMU team does some palliative care procedures in cooperation with the Palliative Care Team in Halifax. While the PMU is primarily an outpatient consult service, the clinical team does see limited inpatient consultations when needed.
Located in Halifax, the academic tertiary centre in the Maritimes, this Anesthetist position is compensated through a Clinical Academic Funding Plan (C-AFP) and may include some teaching and research. The PMU is currently involved in an active clinical and basic science research program, presently focusing on functional imaging, brain connectomes and placebo effects.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• The physician will work as part of the Anesthesia Department at Dalhousie, with dedicated days in the Pain Management Unit.
• The physician will provide new outpatient consults and follow up appointments for cancer and non-cancer pain patients.
• The physician will have 0.5 – 1.0 days of procedural time blocked per clinic day in the Pain Management Unit.
• The physician will participate in the inpatient consult service, as needed.
• The physician will participate in a rotation to present to the Group Medical Visit introduction for new patients.
• The physician will teach learners rotating through the Pain Management Unit as well as present in seminars to learners, as needed.
• The physician will maintain competency in pain medicine via appropriate CME.
• Permanent, full-time position
• Typical full-time members of the Anesthesia Department/PMU have 1-3 days per week in the Pain Management Unit and the remaining time in OR Anesthesia.
• Certification by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (FRCPSC)
• Pain Medicine Subspecialty Certification by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (FRCPSC) preferred
• Consideration may be given to physicians who have a 12 month fellowship in Pain Medicine
• Competence in interventional pain procedures required
• Eligible for Licensure with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Nova Scotia (CPSNS)
• Canadian Medical Protective Association (CMPA)
Halifax is a perfect paradox. We are where land meets sea, old meets new, urban meets rural and traditional meets trendy. We balance a relaxing pace with modern urban amenities and affordability with world class-experiences. We value our strong historical ties but drive to shake up the norm. And it’s this perfect balance that makes Halifax one of the best places in the world to visit, no matter what a visitor is looking for. Discover more at: https://discoverhalifaxns.com/
See more of Halifax! Click for Video