Soldiers Memorial Hospital (SMH) is seeking an ophthalmologist to join a team of technicians and orthoptists to help manage patients and practice comprehensive ophthalmology including pediatrics. Any area of special interest would be an asset. The practice location is in New Minas and in the operating room (one full operating room day a week) is at SMH with a monthly outreach clinic in Annapolis Royal.
Annual income will depend solely on clinical output and the candidate’s approach to scheduling and work-life balance.
SMH is a full service acute care community facility that services a population of approximately 40,000. It has 12 medical unit beds, 18 transitional care beds, nine alternate level of care unit beds, and 25 veteran’s unit beds.
Located in Middleton, SMH’s mission is to improve the health and well-being of the community through an integrated and accessible health care system.
long-term care for veterans
medical/transitional care/alternative level of care units (in-patient units)
mental health and addictions services
obstetrics, gynecology, and prenatal clinics
ophthalmology day surgery
public health services
speech language pathology
- work as a full scope of practice ophthalmologist to provide care to the patients within Western Zone
- participating in on call shifts
- support the Nova Scotia Health Authority in advancing the delivery of specialty care by liaising with the applicable staff within the zone and province
- provide consultation support to the Western Zone, which includes day-time coverage and occasional overnight/weekend coverage
- be accountable to the patient population in the Western Zone by providing clinics and occasional satellite clinics
- be responsible to the Zone Surgery Department Head for their professional responsibilities and quality of practice
- operate within the Bylaws and Rules and Regulations of Nova Scotia Health Authority
- full-time with one full operating room day per week
- on call (1:4)
- all applicants must be eligible for licensure with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Nova Scotia (CPSNS)
- all specialists must be eligible for certification with the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (RCPSC)
- membership with the Canadian Medical Protective Association (CMPA)
Located near the centre of the Annapolis Valley, Middleton - otherwise known as "The Heart of the Valley" - is a scenic town with a population of approximately 2,000. The community values diversity, opportunity, and partnership while serving as a regional centre for business, education, health, and recreation. Discover what it is like to work study, live or play in tranquil Middleton!