Requisition ID: 115101
Opportunity Type: Permanent
Estimated Annual Salary: 50,000 - 100,000
Type of Remuneration: Other
About This Opportunity
Nova Scotia Health is seeking expressions of interest for the role of Eastern Zone Department Head of Emergency Medicine. Reporting the Zone Medical Executive Director, the Department Head is responsible for the operations of the Emergency Medicine Medical staff and the scheduling of shifts. The role provides leadership to the Emergency Medicine site leads as well as performance management and physician resource planning for members of the department.
About the Department of Emergency Medicine (Eastern Zone)
- Represents more than 70 physicians working in Eastern Zone Emergency Departments
- Oversees the provision of Emergency Medicine Services in the following communities: Antigonish, Strait-Richmond, Inverness, Baddeck, Sydney, Glace Bay, Canso, Cheticamp, Neils Harbour, Sherbrooke and Guysborough
- Provides a learning and social network for the Emergency Medicine community in the Eastern Zone
Responsible for overseeing the department’s objectives, planning, budgeting, resource allocation and utilization.
- Ensures Department staff schedules are complete across all sites and that no coverage gaps exist
- Maintains a roster of all active department staff and makes recommendations regarding physician resource needs for the zone department
- Participates in the setting of standards and guidelines for Zone Emergency Medicine services; develops systems for monitoring performance to these standards; and develops action plans for issues and instances of non-performance.
- In collaboration with the zone medical executive director, addresses any issues related to the performance and behaviors of department members and works to resolve complaints regarding care/services provided by medical staff within the department
- Participates on the zone medical advisory committee (ZMAC) and the health authority medical advisory committee (HAMAC)
- Identifies potential liability issues and legal problems within the department and provides advice to zone medical executive director and legal counsel for specific cases/files, as required
- Holds regular meetings with members of the zone department, zone network leads, and medical site leaders and ensures consultation and compliance with the current health authority and departmental objectives, policies and rules and regulations
Areas of responsibility may change to create needed alignment of Departments and Networks. A complete Job Description is available upon request.
MD (with Royal College certification in Emergency Medicine or equivalent combination of training and experience) licensed in Nova Scotia
Evidence of past and ongoing leadership training.
Application Deadline: July 7th, 2021
Compensation: Range $50,000 - $62,500 (individual compensation will be set based on previous leadership experience)
Please apply with a cover letter and CV.
Physicians in Nova Scotia provide fulfilling patient care which embraces family life, professional development and community involvement. That's what makes practicing medicine in Nova Scotia unique. Physicians are increasingly attracted to practices that offer team-based care to their patients and allow them to consult with their peers. The size and scale of Nova Scotia allows for better connections across the health care system. Your practice of medicine and your life is richer here. Nova Scotia is more than medicine.
Nova Scotia Health Authority (NSHA) is committed to being a workforce that is free of discrimination, values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the people we serve. Our priority groups are Aboriginal People, African Nova Scotians, Persons with Disabilities and Recent Immigrants. Members of these groups are welcome to apply and self-identify if they wish to be considered under our Employment Equity policy.