Requisition ID: 35233
Opportunity Type: Permanent
Estimated Annual Salary: 8 hours per week at the hourly sessional rate, per the negotiated master agreement
Type of Remuneration: APP- Alternative Payment Plan
Site Visit & Reallocation Allowance Programs: Relocation Program; Site Visit Program
For information and to determine eligibility for Department of Health and Wellness Incentives, please contact Physician.Resources@novascotia.ca
About This Opportunity
A newly funded Obesity Clinic will be set up temporarily in the community of Glace Bay, and will need a physician interested in working collaboratively with an inter-professional team to care and manage for patients in the program who are living with obesity as a chronic disease. This new program will be available for residents of the Eastern Zone, NSH and will provide service within the Obesity Canada Clinical Practice guidelines and recommendations. This exciting opportunity will include training offered by the Obesity Canada physician education program. This service may participate in teaching through the family medicine residency program based in Sydney and/or with medical students through Dalhousie University.
- order diagnostic tests and laboratory procedures
- advise patients on health care, health promotion, and disease prevention, (i.e. obesity management as a chronic disease)
- consult and refer to other medical practitioners (including the Bariatric Surgery program)
- act as a patient advocate
- report births, deaths, and contagious and other diseases as per Nova Scotia Public Health requirements
- medical oversight in conjunction with Nurse Practitioner of Obesity clinic patients for programming
- work collaboratively with the inter-professional team and program coordinator and manager on patient care and programming
- work collaboratively with external stakeholders (i.e. Obesity Canada)
- additional training, or willing to take additional training in obesity medicine is required.
- physician's choice: part-time (20% FTE)
Glace Bay, located on Cape Breton Island, is one of the communities in the Eastern Zone. Kitchen parties are a way of life in this quaint and historic mining town. Glace Bay has a population of around 15,000 people at all stages of life, including physicians and their families: see for yourself, here! There are several elementary schools, a middle school, and a high school to accommodate growing families. Here, you will join a community-oriented group of friendly, vibrant people who take part in local gatherings and festivals to celebrate their history and region.
Within Glace Bay are amenities like grocery stores, a local and gym facility, and local and national restaurants. Just 25 minutes away from Sydney, the region’s urban centre and location of Cape Breton Regional Hospital, you are never far away from exactly what you need. In Cape Breton, you are also never far from unreal beauty to hike, swim, cycle, or golf. Parks, hiking trails, and the view of lifetime is around every corner.
In addition, the region remains young and vibrant thanks to nearby Cape Breton University, located 15 minutes away from Glace Bay.
Physicians in Nova Scotia provide fulfilling patient care which embraces family life, professional development and community involvement. That's what makes practicing medicine in Nova Scotia unique. Physicians are increasingly attracted to practices that offer team-based care to their patients and allow them to consult with their peers. The size and scale of Nova Scotia allows for better connections across the health care system. Your practice of medicine and your life is richer here. Nova Scotia is more than medicine.
Nova Scotia Health Authority (NSHA) is committed to being a workforce that is free of discrimination, values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the people we serve. Our priority groups are Aboriginal People, African Nova Scotians, Persons with Disabilities and Recent Immigrants. Members of these groups are welcome to apply and self-identify if they wish to be considered under our Employment Equity policy.