Requisition ID: 153875
Opportunity Type: Permanent
Estimated Annual Salary: 250,000 - 300,000
Type of Remuneration: APP- Alternative Payment Plan
Site Visit & Reallocation Allowance Programs: Relocation Program; Site Visit Program
For information and to determine eligibility for Department of Health and Wellness Incentives, please contact Physician.Resources@novascotia.ca
About This Opportunity
The Mental Health and Addiction Program (MHAP) located at the North Sydney Recovery Support Centre is seeking a 1.0 FTE physician (position can be shared between multiple physicians) to work within a collaborative inter-professional clinical team, providing evidence-informed withdrawal management and related mental health and addiction care in an outpatient withdrawal management setting.
Application Requirement: Please submit via email your expression of interest and CV outlining your experience in relation to the accountabilities for the position to Liz Fraser, ElizabethA.Fraser@nshealth.ca, Physician Recruitment Consultant for the Eastern Zone.
- assess and manage substance use disorder(s);
- work with the clinical team to initiate and monitor withdrawal management protocols;
- assess and manage other medical and psychiatric disorders as indicated;
- conduct risk assessments and interventions for suicide, self/harm or harm to others;
- develop and implement care and discharge plans in collaboration with the client, clinical team, and family;
- support the facilitation transitions of care across a variety of settings;
- provide trauma-informed and culturally safe care;
- provide brief interventions related to substance use and concurrent disorders;
- maintain timely, clear, and accurate health records in adherence to Nova Scotia Health documentation policies.
The Physician (s) will work a total of 37.5hrs/week
Workhours will be Monday-Friday onsite between 8:30 am-4:30 pm
- Clinical experience in practicing addiction medicine is an asset, but not a requirement
- Experience working in a medical withdrawal management service is an asset; *If no clinical experience in medical withdrawal management, training and mentoring opportunities are available for those with limited or no clinical experience in this setting.
North Sydney is a community of 5,700 people (2016) on the eastern shore of Cape Breton Island on the north shore of Sydney Harbour. As the service center for the ferry traffic to Newfoundland and Labrador, North Sydney has several restaurants and hotels locally and in the surrounding area to cater to travelers.
The Summer months in Cape Breton are particularly special as there is numerous beaches, many community activities including world class golf courses, hiking, biking, and kayaking are all nearby. Winter months are spectacular as well with majestic snowmobile trails, x-country skiing, snowshoeing and two ski hills nearby with one having the first gondola in Eastern Canada. You will also be a short 40-minute drive to the start of the world-famous Cabot Trail.
A great base to enjoy all that Cape Breton has to offer during the Summer months!
Physicians in Nova Scotia provide fulfilling patient care which embraces family life, professional development and community involvement. That's what makes practicing medicine in Nova Scotia unique. Physicians are increasingly attracted to practices that offer team-based care to their patients and allow them to consult with their peers. The size and scale of Nova Scotia allows for better connections across the health care system. Your practice of medicine and your life is richer here. Nova Scotia is more than medicine.
Nova Scotia Health Authority (NSHA) is committed to being a workforce that is free of discrimination, values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the people we serve. Our priority groups are Aboriginal People, African Nova Scotians, Persons with Disabilities and Recent Immigrants. Members of these groups are welcome to apply and self-identify if they wish to be considered under our Employment Equity policy.