Requisition ID: 34139
Opportunity Type: Permanent
Estimated Annual Salary: 365,000
Type of Remuneration: LFM - Longitudinal Family Medicine
Site Visit & Reallocation Allowance Programs: Site Visit Program; Relocation Program
Department of Health & Wellness Incentives: Tuition Relief; Debt Assistance; Family Medicine Bursary Program
About This Opportunity
The Town of Barrington is seeking a full-time family physician to work collaboratively with other physicians in the community and to be a preceptor with residents in the Dalhousie University Family Medicine program. The successful candidate will be expected to provide office-based comprehensive primary care and inpatient care and emergency department coverage at Roseway Hospital (RH). RH provides health care services to approximately 15,000 Shelburne County residents including inpatient, outpatient, and satellite care as well as primary, ambulatory, and emergency care.
Located in Shelburne, RH has 19 inpatient beds and works closely with other health care facilities in Yarmouth, Kentville, Liverpool, Bridgewater, and Halifax. Shelburne County also has a new collaborative practice clinic that provides the opportunity to mentor medical residents enrolled in the Dalhousie Family Medicine Program.
RH provides a range of primary and secondary services through in-patient, outpatient, and satellite programs:
- Barrington clinic
- stroke clinic
- bereavement group
- cardiac care
- continuing care
- diagnostic imaging
- emergency medicine
- internal medicine
- laboratory services (Lockeport)
- outpatient mental health and addiction services
- nutrition and diabetes counseling
- obstetrics & gynecology
- plastic surgery
- recreation therapy
- speech language pathology
- surgery unit
- ensure the delivery of comprehensive primary health care services to patients of all ages and stages of health or illness
- be accountable for appropriate workload and practice
- continuum of patient care with health care providers within your practice and/or community
- provide care and coordination of community-based care, secondary and tertiary level heath care
- build to capacity within the first two years
- operate within the Bylaws and Rules and Regulations of the Nova Scotia Health Authority
- work toward same day or next day access for the practice population
- work in collaboration with other team members in the practice to best suit the community’s health needs
- work with other providers to provide after-hours access and emergency coverage when required
- participate in quality improvement and evaluation activities
- utilize an electronic medical record (EMR) and record all relevant patient details in a provincially approved EMR which is accessible to all collaborating team members
Located on the southwestern tip of Nova Scotia, the Town of Barrington is known as the lobster capital of Canada. With just over 6,600 residents, Barrington is approximately 45 minutes east of Yarmouth, two hours from Digby, and two and a half hours from the city of Halifax. This region is home to culinary experiences thanks to the freshest seafood around. Enjoy outdoor adventures such as axe throwing, engaging museums, beautiful white sand beaches, and majestic lighthouses. There’s something for everyone in the Barrington Municipality!
Physicians in Nova Scotia provide fulfilling patient care which embraces family life, professional development and community involvement. That's what makes practicing medicine in Nova Scotia unique. Physicians are increasingly attracted to practices that offer team-based care to their patients and allow them to consult with their peers. The size and scale of Nova Scotia allows for better connections across the health care system. Your practice of medicine and your life is richer here. Nova Scotia is more than medicine.
Nova Scotia Health Authority (NSHA) is committed to being a workforce that is free of discrimination, values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the people we serve. Our priority groups are Aboriginal People, African Nova Scotians, Persons with Disabilities and Recent Immigrants. Members of these groups are welcome to apply and self-identify if they wish to be considered under our Employment Equity policy.