Requisition ID: 161960
Opportunity Type: Permanent
Estimated Annual Salary: 50,000 - 100,000
Type of Remuneration: Other
Site Visit & Reallocation Allowance Programs:
For information and to determine eligibility for Department of Health and Wellness Incentives, please contact Physician.Resources@novascotia.ca
About the Opportunity
The Nova Scotia Government has created a vision for health care called “Action for Health”. This plan will change how the whole system operates and create a health care system focused on the needs of patients.
A streamlined health care system can provide many opportunities to put resources where most effective to meet population needs, build a system that focuses on people and patients, ensure a provincial approach to planning and integration of services, and reduce duplication.
Reporting to the Zone Medical Executive Director and working within a co-leadership model with an Administrative Operational Co-lead, the Zone Department Head provides strategic and operational planning and service leadership in collaboration with relevant administrative department leaders.
- In collaboration with the Medical Executive Director ensures that the Department medical staff activities are consistent with the overall strategic and operational direction of the Department and aligned with NSH strategic imperatives
- In partnership with the Department leaders, ensures the effective, efficient utilization of Department resources - human, financial, space, physical and clinical
- Participates in the development, oversight and reporting of Zone Department’s objectives, planning, budgeting, resource allocation and utilization
- Develops a schedule of physicians to ensure coverage of the unit and appropriate medical administration
- Makes recommendations regarding physician resource needs for the Zone Department, in collaboration with the Zone Medical Executive Director, the Vice President of Medicine and Integrated Health Services, the Medical Site lead(s) and, where applicable, the Zone Division Heads
Quality and Utilization Management:
- Working with appropriate representation from the geographic location of the health care facilities, sets the standards/guidelines for health services for the assigned Department; develops systems for monitoring performance to these standards; develops and executes mitigation and improvement plans in the areas of non-performance and develops action plans for issues
- In collaboration with the Zone Medical Executive Director, addresses any standards of medical practice including issues regarding performance and behaviors of department members aligned to the Department and works to resolve complaints regarding care/services provided by medical staff within the Department
- The Zone Surgical Department Head coordinates regular utilization reviews and assists with bed management issues as required
- In collaboration with other physician leaders, network and intake leads, development and planning of policies that support the integration and standardization of the Department
- Must be a member of Zone Medical Advisory Committee (ZMAC) and as such, advise ZMAC on the quality of care and treatment provided to patients and the fulfillment of teaching and research responsibilities within the Zone Department. If the Zone Surgical Department Head and the University Department Head are not the same individual, the Zone Department Head is responsible for the organization and implementation of clinical activities and works with the University Department Head for the academic review within the Department
- Serves as the Academic Lead for medical students and residents for the Zone Department
- Identifies potential liability issues and legal problems within the Department and provides advice to Zone Medical Executive Director and legal counsel for specific cases/files, as required
- Participates in performance appraisals as directed by the Zone Medical Executive Director and implements the NSHA’s process for continuing professional development and evaluation related to the Zone Department
- Undertakes professional development in management and leadership as agreed with the Medical Executive Director
- Holds regular meetings with members of the Zone Department, Zone Division heads within the Department and medical site leaders and ensures consultation and compliance with the current Health Authority and departmental objectives, policies and rules and regulations
As the organization matures, areas of responsibility may change to create needed alignment of Departments and networks.
MD with specialty in a surgical discipline and privileged with Nova Scotia Health with evidence of past and ongoing leadership training.
Please submit your expression of interest with cover letter and CV outlining your experience
In relation to the accountabilities for this position to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Physicians in Nova Scotia provide fulfilling patient care which embraces family life, professional development and community involvement. That's what makes practicing medicine in Nova Scotia unique. Physicians are increasingly attracted to practices that offer team-based care to their patients and allow them to consult with their peers. The size and scale of Nova Scotia allows for better connections across the health care system. Your practice of medicine and your life is richer here. Nova Scotia is more than medicine.
Nova Scotia Health Authority (NSHA) is committed to being a workforce that is free of discrimination, values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the people we serve. Our priority groups are Aboriginal People, African Nova Scotians, Persons with Disabilities and Recent Immigrants. Members of these groups are welcome to apply and self-identify if they wish to be considered under our Employment Equity policy.